An amazing journey back in time to discover an humble and silent Rome…
You’ve probably seen the Vatican Museums, The Roman Forum, the Coliseum and numerous churches but maybe you don’t know that below streets, squares and churches lies an hidden city. The Underground Rome tour is a sophisticated journey back in time to discover an humble and silent Rome. Few people have had the opportunity to experience the immense beauty and number of hidden treasures hiding underneath Rome!
The tour includes St. Clement’s Basilica (with subterranean levels), a unique place for experiencing an archaeological time line from the Ancient Rome to the beginning of Christianity and the Middle Ages. Below the Basilica itself, we can visit also the IV century early christian church and one of the most interesting underground sanctuary dedicated to the God Mithra brought to Rome by the Roman legions posted in the Eastern provinces. You can choose the other sites (take a look at the “ITINERARY”)
- The tour includes St. Clement’s Basilica (with subterranean levels).
- You can choose 2 more sites among the following ones:
- Roman Houses in Celian Hill: The Roman houses on the Celian hill have been recently restored and are particularly interesting for their wall paintings (closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays)
- Vicus Caprarius: The site contains two ancient Roman apartment buildings. One of the apartments’ ground-floor was turned into a water distribution tank, the only one preserved of the aqueduct “Aqua Virgo” that has flowed almost continuously since 19BC twenty-five metres below the surface of the city.
- Catacombs: ancient underground cemeteries. Most of them are carve in the tuff, outside the perimeter of the ancient walls of Rome (the Aurelian walls), as in the city centre it was forbidden to bury the dead. Only five of the splendid Roman catacombs are open to the public and they can be visited.
- Capuchin Crypt: the famous “Bone Church” in Rome decorated with about 4000 skeletons.
MEETING LOCATION + TOUR DURATION
Meeting location: At your hotel or at the side-entrance to St. Clement’s Basilica (Via San Giovanni in Laterano, next to the Colosseum).
End location: The end location depend by the tour designed according to your preferences and requests.
Duration: 3 hours
*My services as your private local guide: 3-hours led by an expert historian (Ph.D. of History) and higly experienced licensed tourist guide.
ESTIMATED LOCAL CASH NEEDED
10 EUR – per person – admission tickets – For St. Clement’s Basilica (with subterranean levels). Free entrance for the Under 16 and reduction (5 EUR) for the students until 26 years old.
*The cost of the other admission tickets (i.e. catacombs, capuchin crypt etc.) depend by the sites choosen according to your preferences and requests
* Admission tickets
* Transportation (cab from/to your hotel)
* Headset rentals (see below)
NOTE: Headsets will not be used for groups of fewer than 10 pax (the cost is not included)
***PLEASE NOTE*** I am not a driver. I can accompany you in your vehicle or I can arrange for a separate car and driver or we can take a cab.